It’s that time of year again. Time for hot grills, good friends, picnic foods…it’s cookout time! I discovered this potato salad last summer, when I was searching for an alternative to my go-to mustard based recipe. I had been assigned to bring it as a dish, and I just wanted something a little different. Most likely due to the fact that I’d already been to two cookouts in the last 24 hours and didn’t want to eat the exact same thing again. I was a bit shocked, and saddened, to discover that there is such a thing as too much potato salad. I couldn’t have asked for more from this version. Although the recipe makes enough for roughly 4-6 people, depending on serving size, the ingredients easily doubled to make enough for a larger party. I was equally pleased to see that not only did my family love it, but so did everyone else. Who said change was a bad thing? Now, as you get ready to host or attend, a cookout (or cookouts) in the coming weeks of Summer, give this side a try. It’s a rich, creamy potato salad with all the tastes and textures of an actually loaded baked potato. This recipe is sure to be a hit at your next soiree, and I assure you that you will be asked for the recipe. Repeatedly.
Loaded Baked Potato Salad
- 4-5 large Russet potatoes
- 1/2 cup sour cream (or Greek yogurt)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup green onions, thinly sliced
- 6 strips of bacon, cooked and crumbled
- salt & pepper, to taste
- In a small bowl, stir together the mayonaise and sour cream until evenly combined.
- Stir in 1/2 of the green onions (1/4 cup), the cheese, salt, and pepper.
- Let this sit in the fridge to chill while you prepare the potatoes.
- Wash, peel, and then cut potatoes into bite-sized pieces.
- Put cut potatoes into a large pot, cover with water, and boil until just fork tender, about 15-20 minutes. Don’t over boil, or potatoes with mush and become loaded mashed potatoes.
- When potatoes are done, drain, and let cool.
- Put potatoes in a large bowl and combine with the sour cream mixture.
- Stir, or fold, in about 3/4 of the crumbled bacon.
- Top with remaining green onions and crumbled bacon.
- Serve chilled.
Pingback: rs gold