Football season is underway again, and for our house, that means so are the game-time snacks and treats. All of my guys love the game. They also ALL love food. So this is the perfect union of two of their favorite things. The amount of testosterone in my house on game-day is scary. However, on game day, I’m just ‘one of the guys’.
One of the easiest, and tastiest things we enjoy chowing down on between downs is homemade stromboli. What game-day experience would be complete without man-food? This is MAN-FOOD at it’s finest. It’s also ‘Mom’ food. It’s easy and quick to prepare so I don’t have to miss the game to slave away in the kitchen. It’s even easy to serve and eat, which is another plus since it means all four boys are allowed to eat on the couch. No griping about missing parts of the game? No giant mess to clean up after four boys? Famous Football Party Stromboli for the win!
This is literally the perfect party food. Make a little, make a ton. It’s simple, and totally satisfying. Feel free to chase it with a swig of beer in between bouts of screaming at the tv.
Famous Football Party Stromboli
recipe adapted from Liv Life Too
- 1 16 oz loaf of bread dough, thawed according to package directions or homemade pizza dough
- 1/4 lb thinly sliced ham
- 1/4 lb pepperoni (hard salami)
- 1/4 lb salami (optional)
- 1/2 tsp dried basil, divided
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano, divided
- 1/4 lb thinly sliced provolone cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 2 tbsp butter, melted
- 1 tsp cornmeal (optional)
- Place bread dough on lightly greased baking sheet. Pat into a 15 x 10” rectangle.
- Arrange ham slices lengthwise down center; place pepperoni on top, then salami. Sprinkle with ¼ teaspoon basil and ¼ teaspoon oregano.
- Arrange provolone cheese over herbs and top with shredded mozzarella cheese. Sprinkle with remaining herbs.
- Moisten all edges of dough with water; bring each long edge of dough to center. Press edges together securely to seal. Seal ends.
- Brush dough with 1 Tablespoon butter; sprinkle with cornmeal and carefully invert so that the seam side is down. Brush top with remaining butter.
- Bake at 375 degrees for 20-22 minutes or until browned.
- Remove from oven and place on a cutting board. Let cool for 5 minutes.
- Cut horizontally into slices with a serrated (bread) knife. For smaller portions, first cut vertically down the center, them into horizontal slices.