Today I’ve just got to tell you guys about one of our favorite Summertime treats. I’m sure just about everybody has heard of chips and salsa, right? In the past few years, I’ve seen more and more interesting variations and takes on them. Well The Sons have their own take on chips and salsa. Except our versions twists the ‘average’ version into an interesting dessert that anyone can love.
Whatever ideas you brought to the table about chips and salsa, let em go. One bite and your taste buds will be blown. It’s full of fruit, oh-so-sweet, and coated with a light and tasty glaze.
And we’re not just bringing our new favorite summer salsa to the table. Nope, we didn’t stop there. We’re also pairing it with some Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips.
Fruit Salsa with Cinnamon Sugar Tortilla Chips
recipe adapted from Spend With Pennies
For the Chips
10 (10″) flour tortillas
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp cinnamon
For the Fruit Salsa
2 granny smith apples
1 lb strawberries
1/2 lb raspberries, optional
1 tbsp brown sugar
3 tbsp preserves, strawberry or raspberry
1. In a small bowl, stir the cinnamon & sugar together to combine and set it aside.
2. Working with three tortillas at a time, spray each side lightly with cooking spray and then sprinkle generously with cinnamon and sugar on each side. Stack the tortillas together and cut into 12 wedges using a pizza cutter. Repeat until all tortillas are done.
3. Place the prepared chips on an ungreased baking sheet and bake at 350 degrees for 11-12 minutes, or until crisp.
4. Peel and finely chop the apples. Squeeze two teaspoons lemon juice over the diced apples and toss to coat.
5. Finely dice the strawberries and the kiwis. Gently stir to combine all the ingredients, keeping in mind that (if using them) the raspberries will break up some but that’s ok.
6. You can either serve the salsa as is at room temperature or chilled. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.