I remember these candy bars being everywhere when I was a kid, at the grocery store, the gas station, even vending machines. They were always my Mom’s favorite. In recent years, when I’ve got a craving, or in this case, a recipe calling their name, it’s always hit or miss if I can find them in the candy aisle. I’m happy to report that with the approach of Halloween that Baby is back! In full force, smack dab in the middle of all that Halloween candy action. I immediately snagged a few bags, went home, and turned on my oven. There was no delaying me, no denying me. These. were. happening. And then they happened. And they were everything I’d hoped they’d be and so much more.
Feast your eyes upon those beauties!
I never thought that I’d see the day when I could get the great taste of a Baby Ruth candy bar in a cup cake. Candy bar. Cup cake. They just don’t sound compatible. Well the hubs, the sons, and I are here to tell you guys that that day is today. And Ohhhhhhh Baby is it ever great! Using your choice of a yellow or chocolate cupcake mix,with a Baby Ruth center, these are then topped with vanilla, or almond, butter cream icing. They’re capped off with a drizzle of caramel sauce and topped with a bit of a baby ruth candy bar. For that extra touch you can even garnish them with a few roasted peanuts.
Baby Ruth Cupcakes
recipe adapted from A NY Melrose Family
Chocolate or Yellow cake mix of your preference, I always use a butter cake batter
water, butter, eggs, and/or oil according to the package directions
Bag of Fun Size Baby Ruth Candies
Vanilla or Almond Buttercream Frosting
roasted peanuts, optional
1. Preheat the oven to the 350. Line your cupcake pan(s) with 24 cupcake liners.
2. Combine your cake mix with eggs, butter (or oil), and water and beat together.
3. Place 2 tablespoons of cake batter into the cupcake liners.
4. Place half a Fun Size Baby Ruth candy into each cupcake.
5. Cover the candy with about a tablespoon of cake batter.
6. Cook for 18-22 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean from the center of the cupcake.
7. While the cupcakes bake prepare your frosting, if making from scratch.
8. Frost the cupcakes once they are cool.
9. Drizzle the caramel sauce over the frosting and top with ½ of a Fun Size Baby Ruth candy.