Is it normal for someone to get insanely excited about homemade enchilada sauce? Is it? Come on, tell me the truth; you don’t have to spare my feelings. I must be really comfortable with myself to confess that I think I let out a little scream of joy when I stumbled upon this recipe for homemade red enchilada sauce. I don’t think I knew until that moment that I’d been waiting my whole life for this. <Insert choir of angels singing>
I’ve always been a fan of canned enchilada sauces, since they were easy and inexpensive, but then I went homemade. I’m never going back. Believe me, people. This recipe will knock your socks off. Make up a batch and store it in the fridge for later use, or make several and freeze them, thawing as needed.
Be still my enchilada sauce loving heart.
Red Enchilada Sauce
recipe originally from Gimme Some Oven
2 Tbsp. vegetable or canola oil
2 Tbsp. flour
4 Tbsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. cumin
1/4 tsp. oregano
2 cups chicken broth
1. Heat oil in a small saucepan over medium-high heat.
2. Add flour and stir together over the heat for one minute.
3. Stir in the remaining seasonings (chili powder through oregano).
4. Then gradually add in the chicken broth, whisking constantly to remove lumps.
5. Reduce heat and simmer 10-15 minutes until thick.
6. Use immediately or refrigerate in an air-tight container for up to two weeks.
Be sure to follow along on
Facebook – – Pinterest – – Twitter – – or via Email
to see the latest posts & updates from 4 Sons