Even when we’re all bundled up, with the cold weather settling in, after an afternoon spent outside with the kids I tend to need a little something extra to warm me up when I finally make it back inside, after herding the boys in to wash up for dinner. A pot of this soup hot on the stove is always just what the doctor ordered. It’s incredibly hearty & flavorful, and it includes an abundance of ‘good for you’ ingredients. Just one warm bowl of this Winter-weather fighting soup and the chill you brought in with you will magically melt away.
Warm Sausage & Kale Soup
recipe adapted from Wine and Glue
1 lb package of Sweet Italian Sausages, casings removed
2 tbsp olive oil
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes
4 tsp minced garlic
8 oz package white mushrooms, sliced
1 bunch of kale, washed, stems removed, and roughly chopped
1/4 tsp nutmeg
salt & pepper, to taste
32 oz chicken broth
1 cup noodles, elbow or small shells
15 oz can cannellini beans, drained and rinsed
1. Heat a dutch oven over medium heat add 2 tbsp olive oil and cook sausage until no longer pink, between five and seven minutes, stirring occasionally. If necessary, drain sausage.
2. Add the crushed red pepper flakes, garlic, and mushrooms, breaking up the mushrooms as you add them. Cook, stirring occasionally, until the mushrooms are soft, about five minutes.
3. Toss in the kale, season with salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Cook until the kale is wilted, about five minutes.
4. Add the chicken broth, and bring it to a boil. Then add the noodles and cook about a minute shy of the package directions.
5. Toss in the beans, and stir in until they heat through. Serve with crusty bread & let it warm you up!