Do you know those nights when you feel like dinner should definitely be followed by a dessert? I have nights like that at least twice a week. One of those nights, I’ve usually planned something, everything is all ready, and I actually look (and feel) like I have it completely together in the kitchen. The other nights, I’m usually grasping a sugary ‘straws’, scrambling to come up with something in the last 30 minutes before dinner is done and ready to be plated. Enter: Sugar Crumb Crispies. From start to finish these little dessert ‘chips’ are ready to serve in 20 minutes. Perfect for the last minute ‘I have plenty of time until dinner’s ready and want to make something else’ nights. Also, perfect for the busy mom who totally flaked and told the kids there would be dessert, and then forgot because she didn’t write it on the menu board. A-hem. We won’t name names. Or point fingers.
Sugar Crumb Crispies
recipe adapted from Chef-In-Training
- 1/4 cup cold butter (1/2 a stick)
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- dash of salt
- 1/2 cup flour
- 1 can, or 1 batch of homemade, crescent rolls
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp milk
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Cut in the butter into the sugars, cinnamon, salt, and flour to form crumbs.
- On an ungreased cookie sheet, spread the crescent dough into 8 triangles.
- Sprinkle the ‘crumbs’ on top.
- Bake for 8-12 minutes.
- After the cooked triangles have completely cooled, cut into smaller triangles.
- Blend together all the glaze ingredients and drizzle over the Sugar Crumb Crispies.